[Techtalk] "bind to reserved port" error

David Sumbler david at aeolia.co.uk
Tue Mar 27 16:12:51 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 17:42 +0200, Wim De Smet wrote:
> On 3/27/07, David Sumbler <david at aeolia.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 16:53 +0200, Wim De Smet wrote:
> >
> > > plpnfsd is probably trying to register another port and that's where
> > > things are going wrong. I'm not intimate with the software but
> > > depending on what it does you either need to run it as root or find a
> > > way to have it bind to another port. Mind you this is not port 7501
> > > which is claimed by ncpd. At least that's how I understand it from
> > > your previous mail.
> >
> > No, it is 7501.  It has to be the same as the one used by ncpd (although
> > I have tried using different ports, above 1024 - it fails!)  As the
> > plpnfsd man page says for the -p option:
> >
> > -p, --port=[host:]port
> > Specify  the host and port to connect to (e.g. the port where ncpd is
> > listening on) - by default the host is 127.0.0.1 and the port is looked
> > up in /etc/services. If it is not found there, a fall-back builtin of
> > 7501.
>
> That's the port it _connects_ to not the port it _binds_ to.

Right - you've slightly lost me now.

The problem does seem probably to be to do with mounting the
directories, because I have now discovered that plpbackup (which can be
used for a direct backup/restore of the Psion) and plpftp (which is an
ftp-like connection to the Psion) both work fine - they both connect to
port 7501 too, but, of course, they are not mounting directories.

> Anyway I had a look at the manpage and you're going to have to run it as root
> anyway, since it needs to mount directories which normally only root
> can do.

This is strange, because I definitely always have run it as a user in
the past, under Fedora and, previously, Redhat.  I have had a look at my
Fedora /etc/fstab file, and there is no mention of /mnt/psion (which is
where I usually mount the Psion tree), so I don't understand why there a
problem under Ubuntu.

David

--
David Sumbler <david at aeolia.co.uk>