[Techtalk] spf and mail

Maria McKinley maria at shadlen.org
Fri Mar 16 21:16:17 UTC 2007

Hi there,

Weird problem I don't know how to deal with. If someone in my domain
sends a mail to someone outside the domain, that then gets
auto-forwarded by that mail account to a mail account inside my domain,
it gets tagged by spamassassin, primarily because of an SPF fail. The
claim is that my domain does not have an SPF record published, but that
is not true, and every other mail coming in my domain from my domain
doesn't have this problem. Somehow forwarding the mail to our mail
server bypasses this check or forges this check or checks with the
planet mars to find out we don't have an SPF record, when really we do.
Anyone know enough about forwarded mail to venture a guess as to how
this is happening and/or how to fix it?

thanks,
maria