[Techtalk] getting quality photo scans

MK Hayes mk_hayes at charter.net
Fri Nov 17 21:44:01 UTC 2006

Yeah, that's what I get for writing in a hurry and not walking upstairs
to check the name.  The full moniker is Minolta DiMage ScanDual IV.

How lucky to inherit the Nikon! Very sweet scanner.  I couldn't afford
one with digital ICE at the time I bought mine.  I forgot to mention ICE
to Carla.  If you're scanning lots, its well worth the extra money.
Otherwise, you can spend a lot of time with the clone tool.  (I just saw
your lastest post, and definately look for it, as it's also useful for
prints scans.)

And yes, unfortunately SANE support for film scanners is spotty at
best.  The Vuescan program, however, is very well liked.  It's often
used as a replacement for different manufacturers' less than stellar
software (even under Windows.)  I haven't tried it personally, as I
bought a classy DSLR this spring and haven't shot film since.  If you'd
like a 1st hand recommendation, check out www.nikonians.org. I did a
quick search there, and folks have been using it under Linux since at
least '02.  If you ask, you might find a Coolscan V/Vuescan/Linux user.

MK