[Techtalk] getting quality photo scans

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Fri Nov 17 17:16:17 UTC 2006

mk_hayes at charter.net writes:
> I'm an amateur photographer, so I actually feel confident in
> offering advice on this.  The best quality scans can only be had
> by scanning negatives.  So if you have access to those, you should
> scan them instead of the prints.  You can pick up a Minolta DiMage
> IV for cheap money, and get really fine scans.  If you have a mix

Does that work in Linux? I can't find anything on Google about
that, so it would be great to hear that there's a decent film
scanner that does work in Linux.

I recently inherited a Nikon Coolscan V ED. Do you know anything
about that scanner? In particular, how well it works in Linux?
I found some pages indicating that it works partially but not
very well in SANE, but that there's a pay program called VueScan,
http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.htm
which supports lots of scanners and runs on Linux. VueScan doesn't
have the Minolta Dimage IV in the list, though (unless it's the
same as the "Scan Dual IV").

--
    ...Akkana
    "Beginning GIMP: From Novice to Professional": http://gimpbook.com