[Techtalk] Alternative ways to implement a mailing list...

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Fri May 26 03:11:04 EST 2006

On 25-May-06, at 3:36 AM, Jason Landry wrote:
>> You may simply be better off using one of the free mailing
>> list providers such as www.smartgroups.com or Yahoo.
>
> Thing is, I want to have/use my own domain name.

You can always make a list at mydomain alias and point it at your
list at yahoo address.  It's not ideal, because the mail will still come
from yahoo or smartgroups or whatever, but at least everyone will be
able to send to a small address you chose on your domain.

If you can find someone else to host mailman for you, it's actually
built to handle this sort of thing, so you can host it without hosting
your domain name there and yet still have it look right.  You just tell
mailman that it's hosting a list for mydomain.com, and then you set up
a set of aliases on mydomain.com to point to the "real" addresses of
the mailman machine.

Eg:
- Set up a list called "list" on my machine mailman.example.com.
- tell Mailman on mailman.example.com that the preferred email server
for this list is actually mydomain.com (which means it'll send using
mydomain.com addresses)
- set up aliases at mydomain.com that point to mailman.example.com
(list at mydomain.com -> list at mailman.example.com; list-join at mydomain.com
-> list-join at mailman.example.com, etc.)

But for your use and minimalist resources... if you can't find a friend
to host, and it's a small list, you're probably just as good to make a
one-to-many alias.  You can usually do it just by separating addresses
by commmas in whatever web interface they give you, but your mileage
may vary there. :)

What's the list for?  How do you expect it to be used?