[Techtalk] Alternative ways to implement a mailing list...

Jason Landry jaselan at gmail.com
Thu May 25 17:36:39 EST 2006

Thanks "Kat".

> What often happens with web-hosting providers is that
> they only provide the many-to-one kind of aliases, NOT the
> one-to-many kind of aliases.

That may be the case here (still waiting on official word from them)
but then I'm scratching my head as to why the package offers 2,000
aliases.

> No, we can't assume that either: you would have to ask
> them if they offer [shell access].

I actually noticed that these guys offer "accès sécurisé SSH" starting
with their 9.99/mo plans and up. I've got the dinky .99/mo plan, so
this sheds some light.

> Another thing you'll have to be wary of is spammers using your
> mailing list to send spam to everyone on the list.

Sure, that's always a concern.

> You may simply be better off using one of the free mailing
> list providers such as www.smartgroups.com or Yahoo.

Thing is, I want to have/use my own domain name.

> I ran a smartgroups mailing list until I got my own
> mail server and changed to MailMan.

That's the ideal of course. I ran a search and came up with some low
cost hosting providers who offer "listserver account packages"... So
it looks like the only two options -- no server of my own, use my own
domain name -- would be to go with such a provider, or look into e.g.
PHP, script based web solutions. If anyone has a good suggestion for a
PHP solution, that would be cool... Thanks Chix.

-- J