[Techtalk] making music under linux

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Thu Jan 19 07:43:37 EST 2006

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 11:33:51AM +0100, sondenkind wrote:
> i read quite a lot already about demudi and rehmudi, the multimedia
> distributions of debian and red hat. it seems quite promising but the
> developpment seems to go very slow and there is no support at all...
> did anybody of you try either rehmudi or demudi? or if you are making
> music under linux which distribution would you recommend?

Well, I'm not up with "multimedia" distros myself, but some criteria to
consider are:
1) good Wine support, if you really want to stick with MS-Windows
  programs
2) large number of packages, so as to be more likely to have good Linux
music programs available
3) you need to decide whether you want a distro which doesn't change a
lot, or a distro which has all the latest versions

For (1) you probably want a distro which includes Crossover or Transmeta
versions of Wine (or buy them separately).  These are commercially
enhanced versions of Wine which work better.  I'm not sure which distros
these would be because I don't use Wine myself.

For (2) you probably want a Debian-based or GenToo-based distro, since
they have the largest number of packages if I recall correctly.

If you want a non-changing system, then go with Debian stable.  If you
want a frequently-updated system, go with Ubuntu (Debian-based).  If you
want a bleeding-edge distro, go with GenToo (but be prepared for a big
learning curve, GenToo is not good with newbies).

Kathryn Andersen