[Techtalk] smb/cifs shares no longer accessible to apache

Wim De Smet kromagg at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 17:08:12 UTC 2006

On 8/16/06, Walt <pippin at freeshell.org> wrote:
> At 12:52 PM 8/16/2006, Wim De Smet wrote:
> >... in debian they're in the smbfs package.
> >Perhaps a similar package exists for Fedora and it got uninstalled somehow?
>
> Not uninstalled; deprecated. I can still mount the
> shares, just with the CIFS filesystem type now.
> I guess the latest kernel no longer supports the
> smbfs module or something.

Ah okay I didn't realise that smbfs was being phased out. I found it
in the release notes[1] now.

> I've found other people with similar problems on
> google related to the FC4->FC5 upgrade, but I can
> actually read the files once the share is mounted;
> they just are showing up as with a "206" in my
> apache access logs and aren't downloading to the
> client browsers...

You can up the apache debug level a bit to see what it is doing. If
apache is running as user www-data you could try going to the top
level of your tree as root, do "su www-data" and see if you can browse
into it. If you can't then it's a permission problem. If you can it
might be kernel weirdness but seems unlikely to me. Have you checked
the syslog entries for any errors on the filesystem mounting?

regards,
Wim

[1] http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc5/#id2967580