[Techtalk] smb/cifs shares no longer accessible to apache

Walt pippin at freeshell.org
Wed Aug 16 17:37:59 UTC 2006

At 12:52 PM 8/16/2006, Wim De Smet wrote:

>On 8/15/06, Walt <pippin at freeshell.org> wrote:
>>I recently did a bunch of upgrades on one of my
>>Fedora machines and now can no longer mount
>>smb shares from windows machines as type
>>"smbfs". Instead, I have to use "cifs".[...]
>
>... in debian they're in the smbfs package.
>Perhaps a similar package exists for Fedora and it got uninstalled somehow?

Not uninstalled; deprecated. I can still mount the
shares, just with the CIFS filesystem type now.
I guess the latest kernel no longer supports the
smbfs module or something.

I've found other people with similar problems on
google related to the FC4->FC5 upgrade, but I can
actually read the files once the share is mounted;
they just are showing up as with a "206" in my
apache access logs and aren't downloading to the
client browsers...

Thanks,
Walt

-~

     The perversion of the mind is only possible when those who
     should be heard in its defence are silent.
                         Archibald MacLeish