[Techtalk] Six sigma projects

Sue Stones suzo at spin.net.au
Mon Nov 14 20:59:48 EST 2005

I don't know if this is the right list for questions about project
management, but everything seems a bit quiet at the moment so I will
post it here.

Does anyone know anything about Six-sigma projects?  I am trying to
learn about them for an exam.  they are mentioned in the text book for
IT project management, but it doesn't say how the principles apply to an
IT project.  There are 2 units of measure (1) defects per million, (2)
seven run rule.  Even though this is an IT project management text book
the examples of what these mean are based on manufacturing, and there is
no indication of how this apply to an IT project.  The seven run rule
may be used say for size of a manufactured item; if there are seven
items in a row that are below or above the mean, or that are increasing
or decreasing in size then there is a problem.

So if there happens to be anyone who has had any contact with six sigma
would you be able to explain how this applys to an IT project.

sue