[Techtalk] two firefox annoyances..

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Sun May 29 02:15:06 EST 2005

Angelina Carlton writes:
> On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 11:43:00AM +0200, Doc Nielsen wrote:
> >user_pref("ui.submenuDelay", 400);
>
> > user_pref("network.http.connect.timeout", 10);
>
> Hi, thanks for these, although I am not sure where to type that :)
> It looks like I put those lines in a file, but ~/.firefox has tons of
> stuff in it and I dont know where it goes.

Preferences should go in a file called user.js in your profile
directory. Look for a file called prefs js -- those are the
preferences that you've changed using the preferences dialog --
and create a file called user.js in the same directory.

The advantage of user.js is that anything you put there won't be
overwritten when other preferences are changed. You can also
include comments there (if you put comments into prefs.js they'll
just be overwritten).  So if you find a useful preference you can
make notes in user.js about what it does or where you learned about it.

These are javascript files (hence the .js) so comment syntax can
use any of the three styles JS accepts:
/* This is a C style comment, which can span several lines and
doesn't end until it sees the closing characters */ or

// This is a C++ style comment, to the end of the line.

or

# This is a shell style comment, to the end of the line.

	...Akkana