[Techtalk] two firefox annoyances..

Lucia Sanchez lu at gusilu.net
Fri May 27 18:55:15 EST 2005

Angelina Carlton wrote:
> (2) Partially loaded pages...
>
> As is the nature of the web these days, many pages load ads, images or
> other content from someplace other than the url in the address bar,
> you will often see "waiting for ads.doubleclick.net" in the status
> bar.

If it's mainly ads that slow down page loading, then Adblock is your
friend :)  It's an extension for Firefox that basically does not load
any ads (you do this by adding rules to it as to what URLs in images,
frames, and flash elements you don't want to load).  It takes a fair bit
of  fine tuning, but it works really well and it's very useful.

It's not exactly what you're asking for, but I would recommend trying
it.  I've found it very useful not only in "speeding up" page loading
(after all, you're just *not* loading ads) but also in the resulting
page layout, which is much nicer without those annoying ads :)

--
Lu.