[Techtalk] Going wireless in a school: tips sought

Megan Golding mgolding at sdf.lonestar.org
Thu May 5 11:22:13 EST 2005

I'm a computer teacher in a US school, planning for a new
school building. We're considering wireless connections for
30+ desktop computers in classrooms across the building.

There are several reasons we like wireless: I'd rather avoid
pulling wire into our (currently) unwired classes and the other
teachers would like to arrange their rooms without being limited
by where they place the computers.

I'm proposing we buy wireless cards for computers in all class
rooms and a few access points placed strategically to get the
best signal strength.

My computer lab will probably remain wired.

Is the hardware list really that short?
What's the difference between a wireless router and an access point?
Any compelling reason to choose something other than 802.11g?
Is there a recommended ratio of access points to computers?

For anyone else planning something similar, I found great advice
at http://members.ozemail.com.au/~cumulus/wireless.htm.

Thanks in advance for your assistance,
Megan Golding
Atlanta, USA