[Techtalk] Debian versus GenToo

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Sat Sep 18 07:57:13 EST 2004

No, I don't wish to start a religious war. 8-)
I am trying to assess whether I should switch over from Debian/Testing
to GenToo, by asking you folk who would likely have experience of both.
What are the pros and cons?
Obviously one pro is that GenToo is likely to run faster, and one con is
that it's harder to install.

- What's the relative bandwidth consumption of keeping up to date with
  GenToo as opposed to Debian (I'm on dialup, so this is important)
- How stable is GenToo?  Is it like running on Debian/unstable all the
  time, as one is downloading the latest source versions of stuff?
- Is there a GenToo equivalent of apt-proxy if I decide to change my
  laptop to GenToo also?

Kathryn Andersen