[Techtalk] Trouble with upgrading RAM (solved)

Riccarda Cassini riccarda.cassini at gmx.de
Tue May 11 22:39:01 EST 2004

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Riccarda Cassini wrote:
> I took heart and went off to my local computer store to ask whether I
> could borrow a power supply to simply try out whether that would cure
> the problem.  ...
> ...  I don't know whether
> it was me being the first linux-girl he ever met, the buzzwords, or my
> batting eyes at him that finally convinced him...  Anyway, he gave me a
> 400W power supply and lots of good advice on what to do and what not...
>
> So, I just replaced it, and things are at least not worse than before.
> Time will tell...  I'll keep you posted :-)

Hi all,

just wanted to let you know how that experiment turned out:
In fact, it seems that the power supply had been the problem - not the
RAM.  Don't ask me why.  I've had the machine running for over a week
now, without any problem whatsoever.  Just to be really sure, I even
swapped the old power supply back in. And, as expected, I had 2 crashes
within one day.  I take that as enough evidence...

(So, that nice guy from the computer shop will now get the bucks, and
the big thanks he deserves...)

Riccarda