Remote X applications (Re: [Techtalk] Re: Discovering my IP address)

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Mon Mar 15 08:46:03 EST 2004

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 03:46:06PM +1100 or thereabouts, Mary wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 15, 2004, Sue Stones wrote:
> > I need to conect to a computer with telnet where I want to use Matlab.
> > I have been told I need to "direct the display to an x-windows capable
> > computer" I think that means give it my machine's address.  I need to
> > give this to Matlab (set the enviroment variable DISPLAY) so that it
> > can display a window on my computer.
>
> You normally set DISPLAY to "IPADDRESS:0" (where :0 is a screen number)
> however, I don't think that will work either.
> What I normally do in this situation is:
>
> local$ ssh -X remote [connect to remote, forward X over the open ssh connection]
> remote$ application &

On my Fedora Core 1 box, I don't think I need the -X: it's
assumed by default. This is the same on all Red Hat, I think.

You can also do it all on one line.

local$ ssh (-X) remotebox name-of-app

which will prompt for your password on remotebox and then
just run the application. This applies both to command line
applications (ssh remotebox date) and to GUI ones.

I notice you say "connect with telnet". It is possible
that sshd is not running on the box you want to connect
to with ssh, which of course will stop this working.

Telsa