Remote X applications (Re: [Techtalk] Re: Discovering my IP address)

Sue Stones suzo at spin.net.au
Mon Mar 15 17:31:19 EST 2004

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 03:46 pm, Mary wrote:
> You normally set DISPLAY to "IPADDRESS:0" (where :0 is a screen number)
> however, I don't think that will work either.

I don't remeber if I had the ":0" , although it was in the email I got from
the uni.  If I did remeber it, i certainly didn't know what it meant, thanks.

> What I normally do in this situation is:
>
> local$ ssh -X remote [connect to remote, forward X over the open ssh
> connection] remote$ application &
>
> Provided that the ssh session you have will let you forward X over ssh,
> this will hopefully bypass your firewall.

I will have a go at ssh, which I haven't used before.  Thanks Mary, and John.
I presume I can find some instructions on ssh somewehre fairly easily.

sue