[Techtalk] private replies/ list replies

Devdas Bhagat devdas at dvb.homelinux.org
Sun Jun 6 22:16:13 EST 2004

On 06/06/04 09:26 -0700, Carla Schroder wrote:
> ***please reply to list-only***
>
> hey gang,
>
> The last few times I've posted questions here, I got bales of nice helpful
> replies- offlist. I don't understand this. I expect list questions to be
> answered on the list, so that everyone can benefit. Is there some sekrit
> Techtalk rule I'm unaware of?  :)
Most people just hit reply. A lot of client software does not have a
reply to list function. Nothing super secret, just happens.

In more detail (this is serious flamewar territory, on the lines of vi
vs emacs):
Mailing list maintainers can choose to set a Reply-To header to the list
address, overriding the one set by the user.

Some admins believe that setting the Reply-To to the list is bad, since
it overrides the choice of the user. This was the traditional [1] mode,
where discussions on a particular topic would move offlist (in effect
forming a separate list of their own) and the original poster would
summarize the discussion on conclusion of the thread.
This is based on the presumption that most people are interested only in
a small subset of topics on the list. This is generally a good idea for
possibly diverse lists like an OS help list, where people interested in
dealing with problems with servers need not be interested in desktop
issues and vice versa.

Others believe that setting Reply-To to the list is good, since it keeps
discussion on the list. This basically assumes that people are
interested in everything on the list. This is a good idea for a list
with more focussed issues, such as a specific device or system.

> Seriously, it's happening so much I'm wondering why. I appreciate very much
> all the smart people who share their knowledge- but why the private posts?
> Isn't a public discussion the point of using a list?
Not necessarily. A list is a good way to get in contact with
knowledgable people, of which a subset will find your problem
interesting and you only deal with that subset about that problem.

Think of a list as a single point of contact helpdesk.

When the offlist discussion is done, you need to post a summary to the
list.

Devdas Bhagat

[1] Tradition descending from usenet.