[Techtalk] Hot swap drive?

Conor Daly c.daly at met.ie
Thu Jul 22 13:42:53 EST 2004

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 08:09:57AM -0400 or thereabouts, Elwing wrote:
> Make sure that the mobile rack handles all electrical "shocks" to the
> system.  That's the big issue with hot swappable IDE drives.  They give
> a surge of electricity back to the system (take out) or they take it
> (plug in).  *most* mobile drive bays handle this for you, but double
> check that it says something about "makes a regular IDE drive hot swappable"

No, this is a plain "don't have to open the case" drive bay.  No surge
handling or anything.  It will work if I power down before plug/unplug.

Someone at work has been having big corruption problems with a USB2 HDD and
Suse8.2 but that could be down to the particular drive since they're using
about 5 or 6 of these drives and the others seem OK.

Conor
--
Conor Daly,                   Please avoid sending me
Met Eireann, Glasnevin Hill,  Word or PowerPoint attachments.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential
and intended solely for the addressee. If you have received
this email in error please notify the sender.
This e-mail message has also been scanned for the
presence of computer viruses.