[Techtalk] Hot swap drive?

Elwing elwing at elwing.org
Thu Jul 22 08:09:57 EST 2004

Make sure that the mobile rack handles all electrical "shocks" to the
system.  That's the big issue with hot swappable IDE drives.  They give
a surge of electricity back to the system (take out) or they take it
(plug in).  *most* mobile drive bays handle this for you, but double
check that it says something about "makes a regular IDE drive hot swappable"

As for removing - look into linux hotplug - I believe that it handles
IDE devices as well.  I believe that you will have to unmount the drive,
but you can just pop it out.

Laura