[Techtalk] Noob Evolution Question

Yaroslav Fedevych jaroslawfd at ukrpost.net
Tue Jan 27 14:11:59 EST 2004

Rebecca J. Van Acker wrote:
> Most Revered Linux Gurus,

> Simple question...is there a way to delete/archive mail in Evolution (v.
> 1.4.3)?  For example, if I want to delete or archive mail earlier than
> 01/01/2004...how would I go about doing so?

Of course, the most mundane way is set up filters, every MUA must have
some. More elegant, though, is this one.

You setup sendmail for outgoing mail, fetchmail for incoming mail,
process incoming mail with procmail and deliver it into your ~/mailbox,
then use Evolution to read incoming mail.

Of course procmail is just a Good Thing to use, you can archive your
mail as soon as it arrives, process the headers/whatever you want.
However, RTFM for Procmail is a must (I faced this challenge. I have to
do it with w2k, as well as sendmail setup!), but after you're done,
there will be much rejoicing.

Even if/when you switch to some other MUA, you'll find that all your
filters work. That is why this way is recommended.

If all this sounds just too complex, I'll try to explain it if you're
interested, but only on weekend (too busy for now, sorry!). And, when I
finally manage to set up my 4 remote POP/SMTP and 1 LAN account, I'll be
glad to share the experience.