[Techtalk] Kill question

Tabatha Marshall tabatha at merlinmonroe.com
Thu Sep 18 14:17:39 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 13:48, Telsa Gwynne wrote:
> There is some kind of reincarnation of the old "killev" command
> which will do this. I'm not sure of the name because I don't run
> evolution. But aha, someone on IRC thinks the command is
>   evolution --force-shutdown
>
> This must be undocumented. It doesn't show up in evolution --help.
> But he is using it, so it's clearly there :)

I will definitely look into it.

> Don't kill off evolution-alarm though: not if you have calendar
> stuff going on. It sits there watching the time in order to pop
> up a reminder box. If you're not using that facility fine. But
> otherwise, killing it off will kill off more than you meant.

Actually that is the process I'm killing, along with bonobo and gconfd
which seem to pop up with it.  The reason I kill them is because if I
used xwin to log on remotely afterwards, I'd end up having difficulty
because evo processes were still running.  It was puking on the idea of
running it twice under the same username, so easier to just kill them
off.

I like to try different ways to access my linux machine from the laptop
(the Windblows box).  Sometimes it's a full xwin session in, sometimes
it's just a shell through cygwin.  I also have an xserver set up with
fvwm on the laptop so I can ssh in and run x apps independently of a
full log on.  Depends on what I need, but I wanted to have some better
idea of how to use the kill tool more efficiently.  There are times when
I might be logged on in using xwindows and my connection dies so I have
to kill all of the processes running under my username.

I hope that gives a better picture of why I wanted to use kill a little
differently.  Again, thanks for your suggestion!

Tab

--
Tabatha Marshall
Web: www.merlinmonroe.com