[Techtalk] Kill question

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Thu Sep 18 21:48:35 EST 2003

On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 11:33:46AM -0700 or thereabouts, Tabatha Marshall wrote:
> When I run Evolution from a shell, and then exit, there are always
> processes left over.  If I do a quick ps -aux | grep tabatha (my user
> name) and find them, I can kill the pids by listing them with the
> command (ie, kill 111 112 113, etc.) but it's such a pain to type all
> the numbers from the lappie (yeah, I'm lazy).

There is some kind of reincarnation of the old "killev" command
which will do this. I'm not sure of the name because I don't run
evolution. But aha, someone on IRC thinks the command is
  evolution --force-shutdown

This must be undocumented. It doesn't show up in evolution --help.
But he is using it, so it's clearly there :)

Don't kill off evolution-alarm though: not if you have calendar
stuff going on. It sits there watching the time in order to pop
up a reminder box. If you're not using that facility fine. But
otherwise, killing it off will kill off more than you meant.

Telsa