[Techtalk] stuck boot on debian

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Thu Oct 30 14:42:28 EST 2003

On Thursday 30 October 2003 12:49 pm, Hamster wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 08:31:42 -0800
>
> Carla Schroder <carla at bratgrrl.com> wrote:
> > My debian box is getting stuck during boot at starting up CUPSys- is
> > there a
> > way to skip it and move on?
>
> Use any old cd (knoppix, debian, RH, etc) to boot your machine and mount
> the disk that has your /etc/ tree on it.
>
> Now, I'm assuming that CUPSys is the CUPS printing system and that its
> being started as a daemon at boot? All you have to do is remove the file
> calling the daemon from /etc/init.d . If you want to you could also go
> through the rc.X directories and remove any symlinks to it. (If you cant
> find a file in /etc/init.d, maybe its being called from rc.S or something
> like that. Poke around, it should be there somewhere).

I was hoping for a quick keyboard command to use during the boot. :) Yes, CUPS
is the printing subsystem, and it starts from an rc file. Usually finding the
entry in /etc/init.d and deleting it does the job. well actually I copy it to
/etc/temp, in case I want it again.

> Alternatively, does anything happen if you press Ctrl-C during the boot up
> process when it gets stuck on the CUPSys business?

Ctrl + C stops the whole boot process. I fixed it by booting into single-user
mode & futzing with init stuff. Always my favorite thing. :P

--
Carla Schroder