[Techtalk] stuck boot on debian

Hamster hamster at hamsternet.org
Thu Oct 30 22:49:44 EST 2003

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 08:31:42 -0800
Carla Schroder <carla at bratgrrl.com> wrote:

> My debian box is getting stuck during boot at starting up CUPSys- is there
> way to skip it and move on?

Use any old cd (knoppix, debian, RH, etc) to boot your machine and mount
the disk that has your /etc/ tree on it.

Now, I'm assuming that CUPSys is the CUPS printing system and that its being
started as a daemon at boot? All you have to do is remove the file calling
the daemon from /etc/init.d . If you want to you could also go through the
rc.X directories and remove any symlinks to it. (If you cant find a file in
/etc/init.d, maybe its being called from rc.S or something like that. Poke
around, it should be there somewhere).

Now, if I'm completely off the mark here about what's calling CUPSys, then
I've just made myself look a bit stupid :-)

Alternatively, does anything happen if you press Ctrl-C during the boot up
process when it gets stuck on the CUPSys business?

Hamster