[Techtalk] Bash builtin "read" isn't working like I expect

Megan Golding mgolding at sdf.lonestar.org
Thu Oct 30 17:11:09 EST 2003

Thanks for the help, Elizabeth.

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 09:55:01AM -0600, Elizabeth Barham wrote:
>    This appears to be a variable evaluation error with the '-' being
> seen as a variable name delimiter:
>
>   other-file=second-file.txt
>   echo $other-file
>
> results in:
>
>   ./b.sh: line 6: other-file=second-file.txt: command not found
>   -file

I switched my filenames and variable names to avoid dashes (and other punctuation that could cause shell problems).

So, now I'm dealing with something like this:

while read LINE; do echo $LINE; grep $LINE master.csv; done < client.txt

Any ideas why the grep returns nothing, when I'm absolutely certain there are several strings in client.txt repeated in master.csv?

Meg

--
Life with Rachel, one mom's journey: http://www.kalamitykat.com

AIM: meganau  Yahoo!: meggolding  email: mgolding at sdf.lonestar.org