[Techtalk] Odd Compilation Errors (modules)

perimorph perimorph at mindspring.com
Sun Oct 12 17:47:15 EST 2003

On Sun, 2003-10-12 at 17:07, TechChiq wrote:
> While trying to compile a module source code (someone else wrote it), I am
> getting errors after doing a modprobe on the compiled module. It says that
> the module was compiled with gcc2 and the kernel compiled with gcc3 so it

If you didn't do this already, have you tried re-compiling the kernel
from the same source tree you're compiling the modules from?  (I'm
assuming you're building the module from /usr/src/linux or somesuch.)
That should make sure they're both using the same gcc.

If you don't want to try that, you can also peek into the module's
makefile and see if you can find the variable that sets what compiler to
use (often the variable is named CC), and make sure it points to the
right gcc version.

Also, if the module isn't part of the kernel, it might depend on you
having a certain version of the kernel.  That usually applies more to
closed-source modules, but it's still possible.

That's the best I can offer without a little more detail.  Give us some
more info if none of this helps.  :)

--ashleigh