[Techtalk] Input/Output Error when reading from CD-RW

Hamster hamster at hamsternet.org
Sat Nov 1 12:12:02 EST 2003

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 20:23:17 -0500
TechChiq <techchiq at hotpop.com> wrote:

> Well, how would I get UDF support? I know how to recompile a kernel but I
> don't remember seeing that in there. I saw M$ Joliet there. I should go
> look at the kernel config again. Odd because I would have thought cdrecord
> would do UDF, and the mount specs in fstab say 'udf,iso9660' so I don't
> know why it said that UDF wasn't supported.

You need to load a module to get udf support. This is where it gets a bit
tricky. If you're running on a kernel that you compiled yourself, then its
difficult to help because I have no idea what so ever whether you compiled
udf as a module or not at all.

But if you're running on a stock kernel, you can enable UDF (as root) by
modprobe UDF.

THe significance of the udf,iso9660 in your fstab file is as follows: I
suspect you're running supermount. Supermount tries to make things as
automatic as possible and tries to mount as many different file types as
possible. So when you stick something in the cd drive, it tries first to
mount it as UDF. If that fails, it mounts it as iso9660 (traditional cd-rom
format). If you never want to be bothered by UDF again, remove the "udf,"
entry from fstab. If by some bizarre coincidence you ever need it again, all
you  need to do is modprobe udf and then mount -t udf blah blah.

Hamster