[Techtalk] The grub & boot.ini files

Hans Tegnerud hans_tegnerud at chello.se
Fri Jun 6 20:10:08 EST 2003

(Sorry you get this twice Tracey. I aparently replied to you and not to the
list earlier.)

> title=Wintendo Win2k
> rootnoverify (hd0,0)
> chainloader +1
>
> (I have tried this also without the rootnoverify but that didn't work
> either. I am hesitant to go the GRUB method again because last time I
> could not restore the MBR and had to reinstall Windows ugh.)

The rootnoverify line needs to be there before chainloader line.
rootnoverify sets what partition should be the "GRUB root partition" (as I
understand it it's the partition that later GRUB commands will do their work
on). chainloader then reads the first (the '+1') sector of that partition
and executes the code it finds there.

To restore your MBR get hold of a Win9x boot disk (from bootdisk.com if you
don't have any at hand) boot off it and run:

A:\> fdisk /mbr

this will write the "normal" MBR (see my reply to Beth Johnson).

It was a long time since I had to rescue the "system" partition of a W2k
machine but I remember the W2k Rescue disks being able to rewrite it (on a
Win9x machine you can do a 'sys c:' from the Win9x startup disk) if you find
that the correct MBR isn't all it takes to boot W2k.

Hope this helps.

(I also recommend using GRUB to boot Linux or W2k and not the W2k boot
loader, but that's more of a personal preference I guess :) )

/Hans