[Techtalk] report on shiny new Thinkpad, or, Windows sux worse than ever

Marleen Garcia d.lineate at skynet.be
Sun Jul 13 12:29:19 EST 2003

On Saturday 12 July 2003 13:03, Conor Daly wrote:

> I came across this which might help...
> http://www.fnal.gov/projects/ckm/ckm_cluster/toshiba-1805/
> #repartitioning
>
> Essentially, you boot from the "recovery" CD, ctrl-c to stop the
> disk pantitioning, run a command to record the disk pantitioning
> is complete and reboot.  This time, the "recovery" process sees
> that the disk is ready to format and so doesn't partition it
> first.

This might be very very useful.

I have a Toshiba s100-1810, dual boot system (WinMe & SuSE). When
I bought the laptop, it was one of those pre-installed Windows
things. I shrank the Windows partition, installed SuSE with no
problems whatsoever. But ... then, when I needed to re-install
windows, the recovery process froze when I tried to get it to
recognize the partitions that were there. I thought I was doing
something wrong!

And you have these <ahem> "choices". Use the whole HD, or use a
partition of an already partitioned HD. Only one thing worked,
and that was feeding Windows the entire HD.

It's one thing to ship a piece of hardware with a software
product, which for some people might be convenient, but it's
quite another when both the hardware and software manufacturer
try to limit the consumer's choice of what to do with the
product(s) they bought.

If I had absolutely no use for Windows, I'd have fed the whole
15Gigs to SuSE long ago.

Marleen
(new to techtalk)