[Techtalk] Top Posting (was firewire)

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Wed Jul 9 21:19:38 EST 2003

iriXx writes:
> i hang out on a list where there is a visually impaired reader, who
> insists that we top-post because no matter how good the text-to-speech
> software, quoting tends to render emails into gibberish.

That's an interesting point!  But what I'm not understanding is,
how does it help a visually impaired reader to quote 90 lines of
stuff they've already seen before after your reply, if it's hard
for them to read quoted material?  Wouldn't it be easier for them
if you just omitted ALL the quotes?

Nobody is opposed to people putting their reply at the top of the
message, or omitting all the quotes.  I haven't seen a single message
that was opposed to that.  What people are pleading for is trimming down
the quoted material to reduce bandwidth, so that people who pay for
bandwidth out of their own pockets, or have slow connections, don't have
to pay for an order of magnitude more than they're actually reading.

[4 more lines of message plus 80 lines of quotation snipped]

	...Akkana