[Techtalk] Learning distro: Gentoo or Linux From Scratch

Conni ccovingt at one-eyed-alien.net
Mon Jul 7 12:36:10 EST 2003

Since my failed RedHat9 installation, I've been trying (almost daily,
actually) to install Gentoo on my laptop.  It's been since around June 24,
and I still don't have a functional system on that computer.  All sorts of
weird issues, including the liveCD not booting (and one of the coders on
#gentoo said it really should, though googling shows that my vaio sr77 is
a pita under linux *tell me about it*)  It's been nothing but trouble on
my damned laptop, which has been nothing but trouble since the day I got
it.

However, I got gentoo up and running marvelously on my older computer, the
333MHz pentium 2, so this problematic garbage is most likely due to my
stupid vaio.

(Oh, Akkana?  The ide2= trick sort of worked, except it said it was a
different kind of CD drive than the one I actually have.)

`C

--
When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man.
			-Anthony Burgess, _A Clockwork Orange_

		  www2.one-eyed-alien.net/~ccovingt