[Techtalk] Learning distro: Gentoo or Linux From Scratch

isabelle.hurbain at free.fr isabelle.hurbain at free.fr
Fri Jul 4 21:31:08 EST 2003

Selon Michelle Murrain <tech at murrain.net>:

> I've been told that both Gentoo and Linux from scratch are great ways
> to really undertand the innards of Linux. I've been using Linux since
> 1994, although only really, really seriously for the past 3 years. I
> understand a lot, but I feel like I could use a real good lesson in
> Linux innards, so I'm thinking that either LFS or Gentoo are a good
> bet to try. I'm not looking at them as distros to use at all, just
> distros to learn from.
>
> So... suggestions, experiences? I've got a multi-boot machine I'm
> playing with. Thanks!
> --
> .Michelle

Hi Michelle,

I've run a LFS for some time a year ago, and I must say it was a very good
learning tool.
The LFS book is really good about explaining thing, and you get to know progs
you'd never heard from before - but without which you do not do much...
Plus, it details all boot scripts and processes...

I've not played with Gentoo yet. The nice thing about LFS is that you have a
whole bunch of things you can do by chrooting, and so you can put it on a long
time, as your machine is still useable.

I believe LFS is worth experimenting =)

Isa