[Techtalk] Made RAID Mistake?

Brenda Bell k15a-list-linuxchix at theotherbell.com
Thu Jan 9 23:34:52 EST 2003

Brenda Bell wrote:
> I need some expert advice:  should I send this stuff back and get
> something else?  If I should get something else, what should I be
> looking for?  Or should I slam it (gently :) into an extra box I have to
> see if I can get it working?

More info... I've been able to determine that the ATA1200A has the
HPT370 chip and there's substantial evidence on the web that it should
work.  Based on what I've found so far, it sounds like I need to do this:

Install the card and hook up the two drives.  Don't create the array.
Install Mandrake.
Rebuild the kernel to include the ataraid driver (static, not module).
Power down, load the Adaptec Bios and create my mirror using the copy
option (e.g., keeps data on primary and makes mirror on secondary).

Does this sound right?  Or have I misunderstood something?  Or is there
an easier way?