[Techtalk] Made RAID Mistake?

Brenda Bell k15a-list-linuxchix at theotherbell.com
Thu Jan 9 21:13:32 EST 2003

Short background... on New Year's day, my hard drive barfed all over
itself -- started making sounds like a jack-hammer after which it
wouldn't boot and I had to reinstall and recover everything.  So, my
husband says "I think we should install RAID".  Great... go buy the
stuff and I'll do it.

I forgot he can't read :) so I'm sitting here looking at an Adaptec ATA
1200A and two hard drives and scratching my head because a) I'm having
trouble finding docs to get started and b) I think he may have bought
the wrong stuff.

Mandrake's web site says the ATA 1200A is "known" hardware for 8.2 --
basically means somebody, somewhere got it working at least once.

I've found HOWTO's for root/RAID but they're talking about software
RAID.  I've found HOWTO's for hardware RAID, but they don't say squat
about LILO and booting.  I've found two HowTo's that sound like what I
want to do, but they concentrate on different hardware (Promise and DTP)
and Redhat.

I need some expert advice:  should I send this stuff back and get
something else?  If I should get something else, what should I be
looking for?  Or should I slam it (gently :) into an extra box I have to
see if I can get it working?

Last question:  where can I find a general description of the overall
process for installing hardware RAID?

Brenda