[Techtalk] Hardware issue, probably...

Raven Alder raven at oneeyedcrow.net
Mon Dec 22 18:15:12 EST 2003

Heya --

	My sigoth's computer is having display issues at the moment.
(And he's a digital artist, so you can imagine how well not being able
to see his screen goes over.)  I'm not the queen of hardware, but I know
people who are...

	He's got two hard drives in his box, each with a separate OS
installed on them, and a sizeable 21" monitor.  Yesterday, the display
started coming up very very dark.  He set contrast and brightness to
max, and it's still squinting, what-is-that unusable.  We have removed
and reloaded the drivers for his graphics card, to no effect.  We have
swapped out another graphics card for his.  No effect.  We changed out
the monitor for another known good monitor.  No effect.  Booted into the
two different operating systems he has on the two different disks.  No
effect.

	The dark effect is pretty much immediate, from the initial BIOS
screen through whatever you do.  It just doesn't look right.  I am now
thinking that it might be the AGP slot on the motherboard, but as
there's only one of those and we don't have a spare mobo of the caliber
he needs around the house, we haven't tried that yet.

	Before we run out and buy a new motherboard, any ideas on what
else it could be?  Any other detail I can provide?  Thanks in advance,
hardware gurus.

Cheers,
Raven