[Techtalk] debian vs ibm

Dominik Schramm dominik.schramm at gmxpro.net
Fri Dec 12 22:25:20 EST 2003

On 12/12/2003 08:55 PM, Pamela Talene Hale wrote:

 > Actually, after doing much more reading, I'm beginning
 > to feel that this should not be this hard.

It isn't.
Took me a lot of trial and error, though. But then, what doesn't?

 > Theoretically, I should be able to just snag an install disk
 > with the newer kernel and be good to go.

One recommendation just sprang to mind:
After compiling a working kernel, make sure you keep
the kernel config (most often /usr/src/linux/.config) in a
safe location to be able to quickly build a new(er) kernel with
the same features. (This config might not work with kernel
2.6.x, though.)

btw. I really envy you for being told by your employer to
install Debian. I wish I were that lucky. :-)

happy testing,
dominik