[Techtalk] Kmail is buggin me

R. Daneel Olivaw linuxchix at r-daneel.com
Sun Aug 3 02:41:32 EST 2003

Hi,

> I'm probably missing something here, but I can't see how
> that would work.  With imap, your mail is staying on
> the remote server, so how is a filter on your local
> machine going to filter it?
> With pop3, the mail is coming to your local machine,
> so I can see how that gets filtered as it comes in.
>
> Maybe someone else knows.
> Elena

Well, I do not _know_ but I can easily imagine :
There must be 2 ways :
1. the server side. there may be a way to tell the mal server to sort
messages out as soon as they come in. I do not think this is done that
way for now.
2. impa lets you move your messages around from folder to folder. You
can do that "by hand" from within your mail client (well, that's what it
seemed to me) so why not automatically moving the messages when the imap
account gets sync'ed ? Your e-mail client may be able to tell the server
to move message blabla from "InBox" to "Bob's messages" folder on the
server. I am having trouble with the setup of an imap server because I
cannot get any other subfolders on the server, this eliminates the
problem of the filters, as the only way to make it is to download all
wanted mails (as for pop3) and to sort them into local folders.

Well, maybe I am saying something wrong, as I am not the some olse who
knows ;)

--
R. Daneel Olivaw,
The Robot Inside.