[Techtalk] compile just one module?

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Fri Sep 27 20:06:09 EST 2002

Just wondering, how do I compile a single module against my current
kernel?  I did:

cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig
< imported my existing config >
< selected the required module and saved the config >
make dep
make modules
make modules_install

This makes my new module but seems to spend a lot of time working through
all the deps and appears to compile the rest of the modules also.  I
didn't do a "make clean" or anything and AFAIR, the last time I was in
/usr/src/linux was to compile the current kernel and I don't think I did
any cleaning then either (I guess cleaning and me don't mix!).

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)