[Techtalk] KDE 3 help

Caitlyn M. Martin cmartin at rateintegration.com
Thu Sep 19 12:01:08 EST 2002

Hi, MC,

> I tried having her choose gnome at the login screen, but it continued to
> go into KDE even when she chose gnome.

Gnome may not be installed.  If Gnome is in the session manager but not
installed will produce the result you describe.

> She is calling the customer support in the morning, because x froze on
> her twice while we were trying to get the new desktop set up and the
> sound card is not working, even though the modules are loading.  So
> there might be something wrong with the machine.  Once we know the
> hardware is OK, we are going to go back to work on the desktop.

I suspect configuration errors more than hardware, for example wrong IRQ
and DMA settings on the sound card, and something slightly off in the X
configuration.  Can you tell us what kind of sound card she is using?
Video card?  Monitor?

All the best,
Caity