[Techtalk] Re: Techtalk digest, Vol 1 #751 - icon to png

Malke Routh malke at attbi.com
Thu Sep 19 04:58:10 EST 2002

On Thu, 2002-09-19 at 04:19, techtalk-request at linuxchix.org wrote:

>  >after a little google searching i found that apparently .ico is just a
>  >renamed bmp - so i renamed favicon.bmp to favicon.ico .... and i think
>  >that worked!
>
> Uh, I took the icon file from www.spamcop.net and tried to open it as a
> .bmp file, and that didn't work.
>
>  >in windoze itself (ugh ;-) i use ircanview
>
> I did a Google search for ircanview and got one match: a pr0n site.    :-/
>
> But on the good side, when I looked at Mozilla's site, I noticed that their
> icon file doesn't end in .ico: it ends in .png. It's a 16x16 image. So I
> guess that clears that up. But thanks for the information anyway.

You got to the wrong site because the program is IrfanView (with an "f",
not a "c") and you can get it at www.irfanview.com.  I'm glad you got
what you needed, but if you want to do it again, IrfanView will indeed
convert .ico to .png easily. I did this with some of my favorite Windows
icons. The icons don't always look as good as .png files, but some of
them do.  I guess you just have to try it.

HTH,

Malke
--

Elephant Boy Computers