[Techtalk] Getting names and addresses of forum users

/dev/null dev_null at iriXx.org
Thu Sep 19 09:03:21 EST 2002

On Thu, 2002-09-19 at 18:27, Arashi wrote:
> At one linux forum I often visit, someone recently said he(she?) was
> planning to publish (though not at this particular forum) the real names and
> addresses of trolls who had been regularly flaming him/her.
>
> The impression I got from that thread was that grabbing people's names and
> addresses thru a forum they're members of is quite easy.  Is this true, or
> is it just script kiddie bravado?  How is this possible?  I'm not asking
> because I want to do it myself - I just don't want it to happen to me.

hi,

this was happening on a Usenet forum i belonged to... the guy doing it
was either using 192.com, if he knew peoples phone numbers, or whois
lookup tools like www.samspade.org if people have their own domain
names. i was one of the people being trolled, and quickly got my ISP to
change my registration details so that my home address wasnt showing...

hth

iriXx
www.iriXx.org

copyleft: creativity, technology and freedom?
info at copyleftmedia.org.uk
www.copyleftmedia.org.uk

 _
( )  ascii ribbon against html email