[Techtalk] DSL modem

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Tue Sep 17 13:29:31 EST 2002

On Tuesday 17 September 2002 02:28 am, Maria Blackmore wrote:

> hmm, ADSL modems really are modems in the conventional sense, in the way
> they work.  They just use a wider range of frequencies on the wires to
> achieve higher throughput, and use a different method of modulation to
> achieve this.

<snip>
> > > 	The workaround is simple though: we put a timer on the modem that
> > > turns it off for three minutes in the middle of every night.
> > > 	Since then, no problems. The theory might be right or wrong, but
> > > the patient has been cured.
> >
> > An easy cheap fix to try- I like it.
>
> Well .. hum .. this seems like a rather windows solution ;-)
>
> In all seriousness this does seem rather like masking the problem, rather
> than fixing it.

True, but it's easier than spendings hours wrangling with Verizon. Their
service is pretty good, I just don't feel like hassling. It will take hours
on the phone and lord knows what all, it's just not worth it. A daily power
cycle in the middle of the night is perfectly good solution. If it were a
mission-critical application, I would not put it on DSL! I would use a proper
regulated service with contractual uptime and service requirements. For my
little 768k home DSL, I'm not going to get all excited.

Thanks for all the great information, I always learn a lot from you.

--
Carla Schroder, Bratgrrl Computing