[Techtalk] DSL modem

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Mon Sep 16 09:09:06 EST 2002

On Monday 16 September 2002 08:42 am, Malcolm-Rannirl wrote:
> On Monday 16 September 2002 01:21 am, Glen Strom wrote:
> > > I am not happy with the performance of the Fujitsu modem that came
> > > with my Verizon DSL account. I lose connectivity on a regular basis,
> > > 3-4 times per week. Unplugging/ plugging in the modem restores it.
<snip>

> Mine drops out randomly (anything from a couple of times a day, to every
> couple of months). Apparently it's not completely dead but will respond to
> about one packet in 500. Whether this is due to the line (also Verizon DSL)
> or the modem no one has been able to find out. Power cycling it always
> seems to fix the problem (which might just mean that verizon's dropped the
> connection and doesn't notice to restart it from their end).

That sounds like my situtation. It doesn't work like a dialup keepalive hack,
where you send some kind of signal up the line every minute to keep it open-
I tried that. I do have ping blocked, I have a static IP- I wonder if that
makes a difference.

I'm thinking about cee's comment about heat- it's been a hot summer.

I wish the damn blinky lights were useful, they show all green all the time.

Carla