[Techtalk] spamassassin

k.clair kclair at karl.serve.com
Sun Oct 27 17:31:19 EST 2002

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 08:22:07AM +1100, Mary wrote:
- On Sun, Oct 27, 2002, k.clair wrote:
- > I don't think that procmail should interfere with KMail at all. You
- > can use procmail to filter the mail through spamassasin -- all it does
- > is run the messages through spamassasin, which tags messages it thinks
- > are spam as such.  Then, if you don't give procmail any rules for what
- > to do with the messages, they just end up in your mail spool file,
- > which KMail reads when you check your mail.
- >
- > The point at which procmail handles your mail is way before KMail can
- > even get to it. KMail won't know the difference.
-
- Unless you're using KMail itself to download the mail (eg as a POP
- client), rather than getting KMail to read the mail spool. In this case
- KMail is the first thing on your machine to touch the mail. I gather
- this is the case for Kenny. However, Meredydd's link describes how KMail
- itself can call external programs, specifically SpamAssassin, which
- means that even if KMail is the program downloading the messages, which
- means local MTAs and procmail are bypassed, you can still use
- SpamAssassin.

As far as I knew, POP clients just download messages from the mail
spool.  KMail can't get the mail unless it's in the mail spool.

I know people that use procmail/spamassassin with window$ based POP
and IMAP clients... no problem at all.

kristina