[Techtalk] spamassassin

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Mon Oct 28 09:22:07 EST 2002

On Sun, Oct 27, 2002, k.clair wrote:
> I don't think that procmail should interfere with KMail at all. You
> can use procmail to filter the mail through spamassasin -- all it does
> is run the messages through spamassasin, which tags messages it thinks
> are spam as such.  Then, if you don't give procmail any rules for what
> to do with the messages, they just end up in your mail spool file,
> which KMail reads when you check your mail.
>
> The point at which procmail handles your mail is way before KMail can
> even get to it. KMail won't know the difference.

Unless you're using KMail itself to download the mail (eg as a POP
client), rather than getting KMail to read the mail spool. In this case
KMail is the first thing on your machine to touch the mail. I gather
this is the case for Kenny. However, Meredydd's link describes how KMail
itself can call external programs, specifically SpamAssassin, which
means that even if KMail is the program downloading the messages, which
means local MTAs and procmail are bypassed, you can still use
SpamAssassin.

-Mary