[Techtalk] How do I modify the GCC library search path?

Aguido Horatio Davis horatio at qpsf.edu.au
Wed Oct 23 07:42:51 EST 2002

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Charlotte Oliver wrote (in another thread):

> It's okay...we Americans save all that money on bandwidth and have to
> turn around and indenture ourselves for a college education. :)
>
> I am so jealous over the Australian university system!

Hmm. The first phrase that comes to mind is "don't be".

They have something called the Higher Education Contribution Scheme over
here, which used to cost less than the tuition for most American state
universities, but now costs more. And what you get for your money is... not
that good. On the other hand, they do give you a 25% discount for cash. (:

On a different topic, the command:

gcc  -o ../bin/amaya EDITORAPP.o HTMLAPP.o TextFileAPP.o XLinkAPP.o XMLAPP.o
AHTURLTools.o EDITORactions.o EDITimage.o EDITstyle.o HTMLactions.o
HTMLbook.o HTMLedit.o HTMLform.o HTMLhistory.o HTMLimage.o
HTMLpresentation.o HTMLsave.o HTMLtable.o html2thot.o init.o libmanag.o
MENUconf.o XLinkbuilder.o XLinkedit.o templates.o trans.o transparse.o
UIcss.o Xml2thot.o Xmlbuilder.o XHTMLbuilder.o XPointer.o XPointerparse.o
AHTBridge.o AHTFWrite.o answer.o query.o AHTMemConv.o AHTInit.o anim.o
SVGAPP.o SVGbuilder.o SVGedit.o TimelineAPP.o MathMLAPP.o MathMLbuilder.o
Mathedit.o   libCSS.a  ../annotlib/libAnnot.a  -L../libwww/Library/src/.libs
-lwwwapp -lwwwhttp -lwwwxml -lwwwhtml -lwwwmime -lwwwcache -lwwwstream
-lwwwfile -lwwwdir -lwwwtrans -lwwwcore -lwwwutils -lwwwzip -lwwwftp
-L../libwww/modules/md5/.libs -lmd5 -L../libwww/modules/expat/xmlparse/.libs
-lxmlparse -L../libwww/modules/expat/xmltok/.libs -lxmltok   -L../tablelib
-L../thotlib -L.. -lThotTable -lThotEditor      -ljpeg -lpng -lz   -L/sw/lib
-L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk -lgdk -lgmodule -lglib -ldl -lintl -lXext -lX11 -lm
-lgdk_imlib  -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXt -lXp  -lSM -lICE -lXext -lX11    -lm

has recently cropped up in the build process of a program I'm tinkering
with. The resulting error message complains that the libwwwcache.a it finds
lacks a necessary symbol. The system libwww is in /sw/lib (referenced on the
third line from the bottom), and because it is a version or two behind the
cutting edge, behold it doesn't have a definition of the relevant function.

The libwww it _should_ be linking with is at ../libwww/Library/src/.libs,
pointed to on the (...counts on fingers...) eighth line from the bottom.
How do I tell it that it wants this one instead of the system one?

Cheers,

Horatio