[Techtalk] OT but I'm desperate.... Windows....!

Maria Blackmore mariab at cats.meow.at
Mon Oct 21 03:16:06 EST 2002

On Sun, 20 Oct 2002, Telsa Gwynne wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 05:49:29PM +0100 or thereabouts, Maria Blackmore wrote:
> > Mains voltage is very well regulated, and has a lot of oompf behind it to
> > back it up.  ...
>
> Maria's in the UK, as am I.

*wave*

in the UK the voltage is regulated by large substations that have large
multi-tap transformers that can vary the number of secondary windows to
vary their output voltage to keep it constant.  (they're kept cool with a
substance that decomposes into hydrogen and acetylene when boiled, and
hence if they get stuck and overheat, they have a tendancy to
explode.  Makes perfect sense, yes yes, you use a substance with a
predelection to exploding when boiled to cool something, perfect sense
indeed)

In the USA the voltage is regulated much closer to the consumer, by much
smaller transformers that work in a similar way, and live on the top of a
pole.

> I always thought everywhere had mains power similar to what we
> get in the UK.

The UK has the densest power grid in the world, and we're quite small,
relatively lucky really.

> I don't know anyone in Britain who resorts to a UPS for domestic
> use.

*ahem*

> Of course, I await someone on the lists now to correct me on
> this...

*maria whistles innocently

*maria looks at the large, incredibly heavy 2 kVA[1] Merlin Gerin UPS by
her desk

I *am* normal, honest.

> Except at my house, and that's in large part because we recently had
> builders in, who had a habit of plugging machinery that drew massive
> amounts of power into the same circuit and then the trip switch would,
> well, trip. (Hurrah for journalling filesystems.)

"oops"

> IRC and mailing lists with a more international reach have
> convinced me that we're the exception.

I think we're quite lucky, really.

You should look at some of the lengths that hospitals, and to a certain
extent police stations go to though

> Oh. One last thing -- like any piece of heavy-duty electrical
> equipment, UPSes are heavy. Really seriously heavy. If you think
> to save money by hunting on EBay, find out the weight and how
> much shipping will be before you place a bid :)

Or find someone with a car and make sure whoever you buy it from is in
the same country :)

The thing is, about lead acid batteries, the main thing, that is.  Is that
lead acid batteries contain lead, which is .. well .. dense.  so it's
like, heavy, like, man.[2]

have fun

Maria

[1] That comes out to an actual usable capacity of 1.2kW to 1.6 kW,
depending

[2] Please don't attack me for wanton abuse of the common comma [3]

[3] I think I'm starting to overuse footnotes[4] in email again[5]

[4] Which are useful

[5] Having been reminded of their usefulness by a previous post