[Techtalk] OT but I'm desperate.... Windows....!

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Sun Oct 20 19:06:31 EST 2002

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 05:49:29PM +0100 or thereabouts, Maria Blackmore wrote:
> Mains voltage is very well regulated, and has a lot of oompf behind it to
> back it up.  ...

Maria's in the UK, as am I.

I always thought everywhere had mains power similar to what we
get in the UK. Here, in towns and villages, let alone in cities,
fluctuations strong enough to upset electrical devices plugged
in at the time are pretty rare, let alone fluctuations that will
lead to reboots. I know one person who has a fair few. She lives
in what passes in Britain for a very rural area.

I don't know anyone in Britain who resorts to a UPS for domestic
use. Of course, I await someone on the lists now to correct me on
this... Except at my house, and that's in large part because we
recently had builders in, who had a habit of plugging machinery
that drew massive amounts of power into the same circuit and
then the trip switch would, well, trip. (Hurrah for journalling
filesystems.)

IRC and mailing lists with a more international reach have
convinced me that we're the exception.

Oh. One last thing -- like any piece of heavy-duty electrical
equipment, UPSes are heavy. Really seriously heavy. If you think
to save money by hunting on EBay, find out the weight and how
much shipping will be before you place a bid :)

Telsa