[Techtalk] OT but I'm desperate.... Windows....!

Alvin Goats agoats at compuserve.com
Thu Oct 17 20:19:09 EST 2002

> Except that monitors do not draw their power from the power supply inside
> the computer, except possibly in iMacs.  In places where the monitor is
> plugged into a socket on the power supply, this is just pass through mains
> power.
>
> It is true that a monitor is usually the most power hungry component of a
> computer, however it is drawing its power from the mains, so doesn't
> affect the computer

To some extent that is true. However, as I recall from an earlier
message, all of your hardware is running off of one outlet. The power is
shared between outlets, so a power consuming object on one plug is
sapping some power from the other plug. This can still lead to a brown
out type condition (before tripping circuit breakers/blowing fueses).

Alvin